Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Elbow

Today Gabby took off her splint. She's been writing her assignments herself and generally seems happier about her schoolwork.

It was just over 2 weeks ago Gabby fell off her scooter and broke her right elbow. It was a new scooter, purchased so she could ride it in the city with her Dad when she visits him at work. (He's got a scooter of his own.)

The very next day after having opened the box, she was riding around, got going too fast and --slam!-- fell flat on the pavement. When Max brought her inside, I could tell there was something more serious than scrapes going on. Gabby wasn't crying at all, but was holding her arm, bent and shaking. She couldn't straighten it.

Max wanted to wait and see, so we didn't actually find out it was a break until I took her to the ER the next morning. We were sent home with a splint and told to see an orthopedist. When we got in to see him, on Tuesday, he confirmed the break, but said it wasn't a bad one. She only needed to wear the splint and a sling for 10 days.

Today was the first open appointment at the orthopedist for a follow-up, so she ended up wearing it for 2 weeks, longer, if you count the splint she was sent home from hospital wearing. I had to write for her all that time! It was a pretty rocky week for school. Everything took longer. We were both easily frustrated. Looking back, I wish I had totally changed our plans so that she didn't having any writing or typing assignments. Goodness gracious, that's the benefit of homeschool -- that we can be flexible when we need too! I wish we had just focused on reading or combed youtube for science videos. I kept things the same, because I didn't want to get behind and because she was working on some pretty cool assignments. Here's the Biomes presentation, she completed, typing with one hand.





I'm not sure it was worth the added stress. The house paid for it too -- no laundry was folded last week and dishes only got done when Max did them. Thanks Max! I guess I'm still getting used to the idea that we don't have to "keep up" or justify our time.

We had thought that Gabby would get to go to swim practice tonight (she is an AMAZING swimmer!), but the orthopedist said no. He wants her to wait "3 weeks post injury" and to see a physical therapist. He normally would not recommend the therapy, but since she's a swimmer, he thought it would help her get back into shape sooner. I'm worried because, the longer she stays out of the pool, the more anxiety Gabby feels about getting back in. She's been swimming for so many years, it is like part of her identity. (I don't like that at all!) She stresses about going -- that she won't be up for the challenge -- and about not going, that she'll get more out of shape.

She says things like, "What if it's too hard?" "What if I'm not fast anymore?" and "What if I'm not on the A relay team?"


I say things like, "I will still love you. Your coaches will still love you. God will still love you. The sun will continue to rise and set each day."


Sometimes she hears what I say and sometimes I think it just sounds like, "Blah, blah, blah."

I'm glad that she's been so independent in her work today. I hope that helps her feel generally more competent and capable. I'm sure it was discouraging to be so dependent on me for the last couple weeks. (I even had to fix her hair each day.)

When she's done with her reading assignment, we are going to finish a sewing project -- and she'll be 100% in charge of the machine for the first time. Now that she's got 2 good hands again.

No comments:

Post a Comment